P1 Marine Foundation aims to maintain strong ties with academic institutions in the UK who are pursuing ground-breaking research by recognising and supporting their role and awarding their outstanding academics.
The National Student Awards are designed to recognise students at all levels of higher education that present outstanding work within the marine environmental field.
The Foundation seeks to fund entries that will have a positive and sustainable impact and ideally propose practical solutions. Emphasis will be placed on the most pioneering project.
The level of projects we can expect will help with commercial challenges and provide environmental benefits of improved management of the marine environment.
Last years winners were undergraduate Douglas Conway at Newcastle University, who designed a combined alternative energy solution of tidal and wind power, and postgraduate Paul Barker at Loughborough University, whose project was based on real time sonar measurement and how this affects marine life.
The winner will be presented with a trophy and £1000 and two runners up will each receive £500, to further their research and studies, at an Awards evening scheduled for October 2013 in London.
- Entrants should be registered as full or part time students at any level within a UK Higher Education Institution
- Can be in any year of the course
- Can enter as an individual or group
- Do not need to be a UK citizen; international students are welcome to apply
The applications will be judged by a panel of scientists and environmental leaders. Confirmed members of the panel are:
- Kirsty Schneeberger MBE, Lawyer in training, Formerly of the Stakeholder Forum for a Sustainable Future
- Paul Holthus, Founding Executive Director at World Ocean Council
- Dr Trevor Dixon, Marine Pollution Specialist at Advisory Committee on the Protection of the Sea
Entries will be selected on the following criteria:
- Environmental merit
- Groundbreaking content
To apply, students will need to provide the following before the deadline on the 31st July 2013:
National Student Award 2013 Application Form
1. Application form
Applications should be sent by post or via email or to;
P1 Marine Foundation
259 - 269 Old Marylebone Road
London, NW1 5RA
If you have any further enquiries please contact Sabrina Taseer on 0207 170 4283 or